After two weeks of discussion, OBX Tea Party members decided last week that we should endorse candidates. More than 90% of the attendees voted in favor of endorsing. This move was not taken lightly and everyone’s responses to the one question survey were read and considered. Some very important safeguards were suggested so that we can maintain unity in the group.
Here is the framework that was suggested at the meeting.
- We will prepare a ballot of races listing each candidate.
- We will post that the vote will be taken at a particular day at a particular time.
- There will be no proxy voting. You must physically be present to vote.
- Voters are encouraged to only vote in those races in which they can make an informed choice.
- Only those races where a majority of the voters voted will be considered for our endorsement.
- A candidate must secure a supermajority of 75% to earn our endorsement.
- We will publish ads in the Sentinel and Coastland Times announcing our support for endorsed candidates. We will use the following verbiage in the ad: “Outer Banks Tea Party belives that the following candidates best support the Tea Party principles of Limited Government, Fiscal Responsibility and Free Markets”
Please email Lisa with your thoughts and further suggestions. We will issue the final framework no later than at the next meeting, June 28th.
We need $175 to run the ads. We have $140. If you would like to make a donation to the PAC, you can do so on our website.